A 21-year old 100-level Microbiology student, Miss Eke
Ukam Ogolo of the Cross River University of Technology
(CRUTECH) was on Wednesday evening roasted to death.
The incident occurred while the deceased was trying to pour
kerosene into a lantern at her residence in 8 Miles, on the
outskirt of Calabar Metropolis.
DAILY POST gathered that the lantern exploded, burning her
face and other vital organs.
An eyewitness, Kelvin Ekere said that Ogolo was trying to
refill a lantern with kerosene when the lantern suddenly
exploded and she died on Thursday at a private hospital in
“We heard a large sound from the room and rushed down
but before we got there, the place had already been covered
with smoke and we tried to help her but her face and her
chest was already burnt; we were not surprised she died
today (Thursday) because she was badly injured from the
“Also, another woman, a teacher, who is my neighbour, was
also injured in another explosion, just few hours after Ogolo
was confirmed dead; this is the sixth incident this year and
we have stopped patronising black marketers, we buy
directly from the filling stations now,” he said.
A family member, who simply identified himself as Mr. Felix
said her sister had her matriculation two weeks ago before
her untimely death.
“We feel very sad and my parents have been devastated,
she has been looking for this admission since four years but
could not get it; but she just gained the admission and
matriculated two weeks ago but died in a mysterious
circumstance, it is so sad, we are in grief,” he said.
On his part, Operations Controller of the Department of
Petroleum Resources, Mr. Bassey Nkanga said the DPR
would partner with IPMAN in the state to reduce adulterated
product, especially kerosene to the barest minimum.
He said: “Don’t buy doubtful product from anybody apart
from the licensed depot; anyone who buys adulterated
product and there is an explosion in any corner, that person
will be held to face the necessary sanctions and the full
wrath of the law.
“DRP is well equipped in checking petrol stations across the
state to ensure that the right thing is done and all loopholes
for adulteration blocked and reduced to the barest
minimum’’, he said.
Mr. Lawrence Agim, IPMAN Chairman in Cross River,
expressed sadness over incessant kerosene explosions in
the state, adding that it was unfortunate that the young
undergraduate died in such a painful way.
Agim said that many families had been affected by such
explosions and vowed to make sure that it never occurred